Mumbles under 8s

Sunday 30 September 2007

Coach's comment

Refereeing both games meant I didn't get a chance to speak to players as much as possible. However I was very pleased with the following:

1. The excellent and positive support from the parents. This will pay dividends over the season.
2. Help with running the U7s was invaluable allowing the coaches (Lyndon, Adrian and me) to organise and sub more effectively.
3. The good spirit of our players, some of whom had never ventured onto a rugby pitch in anger.

That brings me to our key aims for the season.
1. Play for all.
2. Endeavour over winning.

I am naturally very competitive (just ask my brothers). I enjoy winning and I am always sad when I lose.

However, it is more important that the players play, and not the best 7.

In our planning for the season we aim to cover the three core skills required for TAG: footwork, handling and tag tackling. The progression is now to develop some team skills to complement these areas.

The team skills will build around the core skills. With better team skills comes greater involvement and therefore we move towards "Play for all" and "Endeavour".

Lofty ideals and perhaps seemingly far too advanced for U8s and U7s. I believe that we should create the environment for these ideals now, because the culture of the individual selfish player is hard to break in the future.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger james parker said...

Dear Coaches,
Just want to say a BIG thank you for helping to put a smile on James face (and mine!) at the game last Sunday. James really enjoyed playing in the Under 7s and it has helped raise his confidence no end especially as he scored his first ever try.
I didnt realise how competitive a mum I am and really enjoyed the spirit of the game!
James is going to start coming on a wednesday night for practice.
Thanks for all your support!

2 October 2007 at 19:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home